This is a compilation of animals found in the south western region of the Nigerian Coastal Environments.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 1,677 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Onuminya T, Ogundipe O (2022): Zooplanktons, Macrobenthos and Animals of South Western Region of the Nigerian Coastal Environments. v1.3. University of Lagos. Dataset/Occurrence. https://ipt-nigeria.gbif.fr/resource?r=swanimals&v=1.3
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is University of Lagos. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 4.0 License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 47f75ea9-ad74-47ab-919a-b8c8d4f1fce3. University of Lagos publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by GBIF Nigeria.
Occurrence; Zooplanktons; Reptiles; Fishes; Macrobenthos; Mammals; Crustaceans; Birds; Observation
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
- Originator ●
- Principal Investigator
The record covers south western states of Nigeria.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [6.359, 2.714], North East [8.429, 5.669]|
The data comprises of members of the Kingdom Protozoa, Animalia (including Molluscs, Reptiles, Pisces, Aves, Mammals, Rotifers, Cnidarians) and Chromista.
|Phylum||Arthropoda, Chordata, Cnidaria, Rotifera, Ctenophora, Ciliophora, Amoebozoa|
|Start Date / End Date||1958-01-06 / 2018-09-30|
Mobilization of Nigerian Coastal Biodiversity Data for Publication to GBIF
|Title||Implementation of the Biodiversity Information and data System for Coastal Ecosystems in Nigeria - BID-AF2020-022-NAC|
The personnel involved in the project:
- Ajibare, A.O | Olawusi-Peters, O.O | Bello-Olusoji, O.A. (2019). Plankton Dynamics as Pollution Indicator in the Coastal Waters of Ondo State, Nigeria. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture Research. 5(1): 22-31.
- Akinwunmi et al.
- Balogun, K.J | Ajani, E.K (2021). Assessment of Zooplankton community in an anthropogenic-disturbance coastal creek, southwest Nigeria. Archives of Agriculture and Environmental Science 6(2): 160-169.
- Doore, MPO. 2022. Biodiversity of Lagos State.
- Emmanuel, B.E | Onyema, I.C. (2007). The Plankton and Fishes of a Tropical Creek in South-Western Nigeria. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 7: 105-113.
- Emmanuel, B.E | Ogunwenmo, C.A (2010). The Macrobenthos and the Fishes of a Tropical Estuarine Creek in Lagos, South-Western Nigeria. Reports and Opinon, 2(1).
- Olawusi-Peters, O.O | Ajibare, A.O. (2014). Species richness, diversity and abundance of some Decapod Crustaceans in coastal waters of Ondo State, South West, Nigeria. International Journal of Fauna and Biological Studies, 1 (5): 44-53
- Onyema, I.C | Ojo, A.A (2008). The Zooplankton and Phytoplankton biomass in a tropical creek, in relation to water quality indices, Life Science Journal, 5(4): 75-82.
- Onyema,I.C | Nwabuzor, E.J | Igwe, C.O. (2014). The water Quality Phytoplankton and Zooplankton of the Lower Ogun River Lagos. International Journal of Life Sciences, 3(2): 16-25.