This is an occurrence record of phytoplanktons and plants in the South-South zone of the Nigerian Coast.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 2,690 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Onuminya T, Ogundipe O (2022): Flora of South-Southern Nigeria Coastal Environments. v1.2. University of Lagos. Dataset/Occurrence. https://ipt-nigeria.gbif.fr/resource?r=ssflora&v=1.2
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is University of Lagos. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 4.0 License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: d1d7f2ea-cc05-401b-8157-1ce8ec6a4556. University of Lagos publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by GBIF Nigeria.
Occurrence; South-South; Nigeria; Coastal Environments; Phytoplankton; Higher Plants; Observation
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
- Originator ●
- Principal Investigator
The record covers Delta, Edo, Rivers, Cross River, Bayelsa and Akwa-Ibom States within the south southern region of Nigeria.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [4.325, 5.054], North East [6.359, 9.042]|
The taxa represented span the Kingdom Protozoa, Chromista, Bacteria and Plantae
|Phylum||Tracheophyta, Charophyta, Chlorophyta, Cyanobacteria, Euglenozoa, Myzozoa, Ochrophyta|
|Start Date / End Date||1990-01-01 / 2018-12-31|
Mobilization of Nigerian Coastal Biodiversity Data for Publication to GBIF
|Title||Implementation of the Biodiversity Information and data System for Coastal Ecosystems in Nigeria - BID-AF2020-022-NAC|
|Study Area Description||Nigerian Coastal Environments|
The personnel involved in the project:
- Agbawa,I.O.,Chimezie,E.(2011)Structure and Phytodiversity of Freshwater Swamp Forest in Oilrich Bonny,River State,Nigeria,Research Journal of Forestry,5(2);66-77
- Ajuzie, C.C. | Houvenaghel, G.T. (2009). Preliminary survey of potentially harmful dinoflagellates in Nigeria's coastal waters. Fottea 9(1): 107–120
- "Aroloye O. N (2018). Mangrove Species Distribution and Composition, Adaptive Strategies and Ecosystem Services. http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.79028"
- Asuk, S.A. | Offiong, E.E., |Ifebueme, M.N.| Akpaso, E.O. (2018). Species Composition and diversity of mangrove swamp forest in southern Nigeria. International Journal of Avian and Wildlife Biology. 3(2): 159-164.
- Davies, O.A. | Atene, B.B. | Amachree, D. | Nwose, F.A. (2019). Phytoplankton Communitry of Upper Reaches of orashi River, Rivers State, Nigeria. Spec. j. biol. sci., 2019, Vol, 5 (3): 1-12.
- Dirisu, A.R. | Uwagbae, M.A. | Edwin-Wosu, N.L. | Imoobe, T.O.T. (2019). Plankton Diversity and Community Structure of Asarama Estuary in the Niger Delta In Relation to Physico-Chemistry. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 17(5):10277-10292 .
- Effiong, K.S. | Inyang, A.I. | Robert, U.U. (2018). Spatial distribution and diversity of phytoplankton community in Eastern Obolo River Estuary, Niger Delta. Journal of Oceanography and Marine Science, 9(11): 1-14
- Eyo, V.O. | Ekpo, P.B. | Andem, A.B. | Okorafoe, K.A. (2013). Ecology and Diversity of Phytoplankton in the Great Kwa River, Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 1(2):1-7
- Ezekiel E.N, | Ogamba, E.N | Abowei, J.F.N. (2011). Phytoplankton Composition and Abundace in Sombreiro River, Niger Delta, Nigeia. Current Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 3(3): 229-233.
- Ita, E.O. (1994). Aquatic plants and wetland Wildlife Resources of Nigeria. CIFA Occasional Paper. 21: 52pp.
- Kadiri, M.O (1999). Phytoplankton Distribution in Some Coastal Waters Of Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Botany, 12(1); 51-62.
- Nyananyo, B.L. |Okeke, C.U. | Mensah, S.I. (2006). Physico-chemical conditions and distribution of phytoplankton in the Brass River, Nigeria.J. Appl. Sci, Environ. Mgt. 10(1): 43-45.
- Olowokudejo, J.D. | Oyebanji, O.O (2016). Floral diversity of the littoral vegetation of Southeastern Nigeria. International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation. (1): 320-333.